Así soy

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sliding Home

So after a lot of fun in my last presentation, I set out from RDU for the trip home to the Bay Area.  This time I went through Atlanta where there was a small hitch with a last minute gate change that required a 28 gate dash, but I pulled it off.  I even had an aisle seat.

The seats were still tighter than I am use to since I'm spoiled by SouthWest and JetBlue, but the crew was friendly, and I saw baskets of snacks.

The flight crew went into the usual safety spiel.  I always dutifully pull out the safety card and look at the airplane configuration.  I figure they do have to let us know about the safety and it just seems awfully rude not to listen. Besides, you never know if something may have changed in the procedures.

Anyway, the man doing the talking had just gotten to the part about "In the event of sudden cabin depressurization, oxygen masks will fall from the compartments directly overhead.  When you are through screaming, place the mask over your face, draw the straps tightly and breathe deeply--"   WHAT?  What did he say??  When you are through screaming?  It took me a few seconds to decide if that was funny or not, but by then he had moved onto "As we taxi to the runway we'll dim the cabin lighting, thus enhancing the looks of those around you."  I burst out laughing as did the woman sitting next to me.  Most people were not listening and so they gave us some hard looks, clearly wondering what we found so funny.

I can't help but love a flight attendant who can use "thus" and "enhancing" in a single sentence that is at once informative and hilarious.

The flight was smooth, uneventful, snack-loaded and included a TV so I could watch the plane move across the US.  The shuttle home was equally quick.

Now I just needed a quick nap before getting ready for a dance show...  Where did I pack my glitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment