Así soy

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Field Trip #2: Tuesday we visit the Kellai Lama



So this time Paul met me at Kelly's:  he drove with another large muscular man with whom he planned to work on some muscular weight-related-activities stuff later in the afternoon.   I'm pretty sure it wasn't a reflection on my driving skills. 

Anyway, today the Shoulder got a Get-Out-Of-Jail free card since my spinal cord got first ups.  Kelly laughed off my morose demeanor and in 5 minutes time had (painlessly) (easily) straightened out my vertebra.  I didn't even have time to feel wary.

the challenge of catching minnows
He then proceeded to show me where all the looseness in my back was causing me trouble and setting me up for injury again. Part of this demonstration involved his pressing down on my abdomen while I attempted to breathe in a very specific manner.  For those of you who don't spend your time micro-managing your every movement (like breathing,) this will seem very dull.  For me, it was like trying to catch minnows in a stream with my bare hands. The more I thought about it, the more aware I became that there are a lot of little muscles.  I had to figure out which ones to use in which order, like a puzzle.

It did not help my concentration when Paul decided to ask right at the very moment I was inhaling, contracting, and being flattened by Kelly, "Has anyone ever farted while you are doing this?"

Kelly approaches bare-handed
There were a few more stretches that I hope I will remember because they felt great (I was on a serious post-pain high and was totally ready to simply fall asleep.)
Kelly then worked on my psoas muscle which basically felt like he was attempting to remove a kidney with his bare hands (See Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.)

Psychic surgery!
I pointed out that the abdominal aorta was in that region, just FYI, along with some other important organs I most likely needed for survival.  Eventually he started on the right side which was better, so then I wondered if he could feel all the bacon, eggs, concord grapes, blueberries, oatmeal and fish oil capsules milling around (I believe most injuries heal much, much faster -and better- if they have plenty of fuel.)

Kelly then asked Paul, Have you used the Sledge Hammer technical words technical words technical words?
Kelly lifts the sledge hammer
Paul said, we have Sledge Hammers, but I haven't used them with her yet.
Now, I have seen only videos of people swinging sledge hammers at a large tire (which BTWIMHO I think is neither practical nor productive.)   I cannot come up with a single image in which I am using the sledge hammer that does not result in my death or the death of anyone standing near me.

So when Paul went outside and returned with a real life heavy-ass sledge hammer, I was trying dimly to think of some excuse to avoid swinging it (or, in fact, to avoid any contact with it at all.)
Kelly placed it head down on my belly where earlier he had been performing bare handed psychic surgery.  "There!" he smiled. "See, you can do the same thing to yourself.  Use the weight of the sledge hammer to relax the psoas."

This was so anticlimactic that I
just stared blankly with absolutely nothing to say nor a coherent thought in my head.
(hover mouse for full cricket effect)

NAiya can do it!

At any rate, my back is finally not tweaking.

Next field trip:  working the iron shoulder, mwhahahaha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment