Así soy

Friday, June 25, 2010

Milestone: the push-up

Do NOT laugh.

But today I did an entire push-up. Ok, it was a girl push-up and I sort of did a couple of sets of ten, but I know in my heart (the organ I have nearly vomited onto the floor 7 or 8 times) that I really only did one push-up with the correct form.

my arm really did look like this
my arm really did look like this
Considering that two and a half years ago my right arm was locked in the Meerkat position, I'm pretty thrilled.

As a reward for this momentous achievement, Paul chained me to a large metal wheel with the number 45 on it and made me drag it like an Egyptian slave (had they built the pyramids out of metal wheels) across the parking lot and back. At first, this seemed interesting:  I was imagining what kind of work I actually would have done in Egypt -probably a dust maid or bee-keeper or something; but then I realized I was getting an IM (Importunate Message) from my quads and shoulders.  My steps got shorter and slower. But I made it to the end with some energy to spare. I grabbed my water bottle, chugged some water and acted casual (avoiding eye contact with Paul in case he thought of something "next" to do.)

He cheerfully set up another metal frame, added some wheels (numbers unknown) and said "Push these across the parking lot and come back running as fast as you can!" He sounds as though this is the greatest idea since the last exercise so I can't help but think, ok!!!

This pushing exercise is like a bad friend: You think you are getting along great and then she stabs you in the back.  I run and run, bent over, shoving this heavy metal table, and I slide it around and run-run-run back --and then I stand up.  Wham! A wave of blood-sucking fatigue hits when I stop! What?!?
I chugged more water, thinking furiously. What kind of exercise is this?! The next time I ran/pushed I was afraid of stopping (What would Paul do if I turned it again and kept going until I was out of sight where I could lay in the grass and wrestle my panicking heart back into my chest cavity?)

After I got home, I showered, I logged into the belly dance store and I looked at lots of costumes to try to recover some balance.

But then I remembered, oh yeah, baby! I did that one push-up!

Next up: the circus rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment