Así soy

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mental note: Curtains

I totally function 24/7 in high-Beta which means while I can be hyper-sensitive of external nuance, I can get crazy focused on internal idea.  Anyway, there I was staring into space while my brain busily fomented discord among the squabbling body parts about how I was driving Paul crazy with my scandalously bad squat form.  I suddenly put down my fork, abandoning my breakfast and marched into my dance studio, utterly determined to get it right.

I took a deep breath, turned sideways to the mirror and did a squat.  I looked into the mirror to examine my form.  Aha! I was too far forward over my knees.  I shoved back farther with the booty.  I craned my head to assess my new stance.  Better.  Then I tried it again with even more back booty action.  Definitely better form.  But my knees still tended to drift a little in front of the ankles.

I stood, shook out my legs and tried another squat, this time basically handing the car keys to my booty and encouraging it to drive.  But it was having some trouble getting completely out of the driveway. 

Before: hamstrings activated.
  After: hamstrings completely relaxed.

I rocked back more on my heels, lifting the front of my feet completely off the floor.  I felt the tug behind my knees : it was the tight hamstrings!

Now I can't really be annoyed with the hamstrings: I have to consider that they pretty much keep my entire torso from collapsing like those push-bottom toys (see pic at left.)



But currently there is a certain point where the hamstrings won't give, and the knees surge ahead of the ankle.

I stayed in the squat position, frowning at my booty, pushing, wiggling, and willing it back further.

And then I caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye.  Movement outside of my large window.  Human movement.  Crikey! Public view!

I became aware of the entire open-window dance studio scenario in less than a heartbeat:

I'm bent over, head twisted back staring at my bouncing booty...

in my underwear.



(You really thought I'd post a pic of that?
Sorry, you had to be there.
Like my neighbors.)

No comments:

Post a Comment