Así soy

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Part 1: The Best Laid Plans or how it started

So this is what I had planned:

1) I would drive to SFO after an easy 6-hour day of giving tests where I would get a sandwich before flying to LAX to catch

2) the red-eye on which I would sleep until I landed in NC

3) where I would rent a car and drive to VA to relax before the conferences.


This is what occurred in Naiya Realityland:

1) After the series of exams which I packed up to take with me, I arrived at SFO dragging my heavy suitcase loaded with my own pillows, snacks, and that plastic jar of fish oil capsules.  I then dragged my computer bag bulging with my emergency 50-foot ethernet cable (I am not making that up) & carry-on through Security where I actually had to take off my hair clip.

Upon arriving at my gate, I discovered to my stomach's horror that I was in the only terminal that had NO food other than a newsstand with snack packs. I bought a $5.50 bottle of water, figuring to buy food in LAX's loaded food courts.

And then I waited.

And waited.

Our flight was late and I got hungrier and bored.  At first I graded exams for a while, but it occurred to me that I'd be sitting all night so I may as well walk around.  I circled the gate but I couldn't go too far in case there was an announcement regarding our flight.


So I decided, what the heck, I'll do some of Kelly's Mobility Stuff at the airport.  It's not like I was trying to date anyone there.  So I started with the quad/hip flexor stretch.  As I crouched on the seat stretching away using my phone to time myself, I noticed people beginning to surreptitiously watch me.  Finally, one gentleman politely asked what I was doing and so, of course, I had to explain.  Then several other people people came over to chat, and I learned they were from Geek Haven Oracle World.  We all continued swapping stories even when I went to the gate ticket counter to do the Behind-the-back arm stretch.

Finally, our flight was called and I enjoyed a nice quick puddle-jump to LAX, comparing software applications with a cool techie from Ohio.  As I exited the plane, I was desperately looking forward to getting some food - the first food I would eat since 12 noon when I had eaten a banana....

                                               (to be continued.....)

     

No comments:

Post a Comment