Así soy

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Portrait of a Renaissance Man

Leonardo would have subscribed to Kelly's MWOD Blog.
I'm getting the hang of driving to San Francisco at 6am. Granted, I'm half awake, but I'm totally pleasant and polite on the road. When I'm not cutting off the jerks.

I love the smell of the Bay, and so if I am lucky enough to arrive early, I hang out looking at the water, waiting to enter Kelly's Pain Box: "Fear is the Mind Killer," he reminds me.

Anyway, working with Kelly is a little different than working with other PTs that I've seen in the past. While that may seem sort of like, duh, in terms of his knowledge and skill, it's that he has a seriously developed persona.  BTW, I still have deep affection for the physical therapist I went to years ago because both of us crazy love high heels.  I have not asked Kelly his opinion on heels.

seriously, Katmandu!
Anyway, this persona, Kelly, has a habit of dropping nuclear tidbits, like today when he started out with, "When I was 21 and tired of teaching kayaking in Katmandu..."   Since he had my arm in an interesting grip that had my apparently casual but in reality full penetrating focused attention, I mumbled, um, wow or something similarly coherent, totally showcasing my charm and wit.

So while I was pretending to be on a separate planet from my shoulder, I also spent some beta time trying to imagine if I could actually say anything even remotely as interesting as that about any point in my life.
On a scale of 1 (bare existence) to 10 (seriously living):
Kelly:   Katmandu   "10"
Me:      I got kicked out of Spain after they canceled my Visa while I was an exchange teacher at the University of Sevilla. I had 48 hours to leave, went to England and got mono.   "4" [story better told while drinking]
Kelly:    Thailand   "10"
Me:      I got to see the Pope really close in Rome when the guards mistook me for a member of a visiting choir.   "5" (I'd make that a 8 if I'd actually had to sing.)
Kelly:    Ft. Bragg Special Forces "10"
Me:       I got to ride in a submarine around Charleston Bay once.   "7" -actually that was pretty awesome.
Kelly:   I'm one degree of separation from Mandy Moore. "10"
Me:      I met Dina in Canada and she was totally nice to me. Plus I dated Keanu Reeves. "11"


The mad, crazy passion of our tumultuous affair could not withstand the insurmountable odds of our never having met.

I actually did not get to say any of that because he was making little twisty motions with my arm that made it feel as though he were grinding the head of my humerus (upper arm bone) (I looked it up) against a stainless steel cheese grater.

He then revealed serious geek qualities as well by quoting BladeRunner : Director's cut (really!) (but can he quote Star Trek..?) and talking philology.

I'm sure I've just scratched the surface of his renaissance-ish-ness.
So, in one of his blog commentaries, when he says : "Nicht nicht!", I can't be sure if he is alluding to Paul Watzlawick ("One Cannot Not Communicate (Man kann nicht nicht kommunizieren): Every behaviour is a kind of communication. Because behaviour does not have a counterpart (there is no anti-behaviour), it is not possible not to communicate")

or if he is quoting Sasha Cohen's Bruno...

No comments:

Post a Comment