Así soy

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Arrrrrrgh!

So this is a *prowler*

Ok so now I know the table that Paul invites me to shove across the parking lot and back is called a prowler.

I'm not sure why it has this name unless it is because you have to be in a bent over straight-armed position launching yourself from your toes -somewhat reminiscent of a prey animal stalking something small and furry.

Naiya organizing her muscles

Given the quick charge and staggering return patterns I have, I think I probably am more like a drunken border collie chasing ducks.


Today's prowler was bright yellow like a raincoat or like NASCAR or like the sparkling lights in front of my eyes as my heart slam-danced in my chest.

When Paul set it up I thought ok, I just need to survive three of these.  Maybe five.  Paul smiled, Ok, let's do ten today.
Me:
Me:
Me:
Paul: seriously, you can do it.
Me: um, ok (because, after all, the worst that could happen would be my body exploding into small pieces in the back parking lot.)

So the first three went pretty well. The next two proved that the prowler would serve as a fairly good sobriety test as I lost the ability to shove in a straight line (probably making my reps longer.)

During the 6th run, I thought, I am more than halfway.  Then on the spin around to head back it got caught in a small pot hole.  I wrestled it out in one of those incredible Hulk moments purely because I panicked at the thought of losing momentum.  (So call me if you ever need me to lift a bike off of you in an emergency!)

During 7 I thought about the synesthesia exam and the mystery of why I do not have color associations with the numerals 2 or 4 but they do prompt images of snowflakes: Possibly this was a sign of delirium, but at least I no longer cared what my heart was doing.

During number 8 I counted my footsteps and then wondered was it really number 8 or was it 7?

During number 9 I began to mentally chant "8! 8! 8!" in a pathetic attempt to make myself feel better at the end when I would reveal that it was really the 9th run.

Number 10, I cleared my brain completely because I was so determined to finish that I tapped even my neural energy.

I have to admit I felt some serious sense of achievement, especially once my eyes could focus properly again.

Eventually I hope to be occasionally drenched in sweat like the guys working hundreds of pounds and saying Arrrrgghh!

No comments:

Post a Comment