Así soy

Monday, July 26, 2010

Dance Paws

This took practice
this took practice
Crikey, after years of struggling to achieve a semblance of "pretty feet" in dancing (thank you, Susan,) now I'm having to learn to "gym feet". 
Dance: toes
Gym: heels
Dance: ball of foot
Gym: outside of foot
Dance: roll up to toes, point foot
Gym: launch from heels
Dance: knees slightly curve in
Gym: knees push outward

And just like belly dancing there is the barefoot vs. shoes question.  Which is better for a performance?  The answer depends on whom you ask and also, I believe, on what surface you are about to dance / workout on.
I started out barefoot at the gym.  It is easier to do most lunges barefoot (especially if I have to pivot.)

But I found it is really difficult to keep my feet in the holders on the machines if I don't wear shoes.  Also, the lifting, swinging, dragging, pushing stuff is more comfortable in shoes (think parking lot pavement vs. my feet.)

Plus, when I am wearing shoes, Paul can't see if my toes are occasionally gripping, ha ha!

Ok, that is so a lie!  He CAN tell.  I'm not sure how he can tell (more on superman later,) but he snaps out "off your toes, back on your heels" when half a little toe sneaks in to help push.

No comments:

Post a Comment